Prepare for Frankenstorm 2012!
It is hard to believe that the Northeast is facing another potential October storm that include snow almost to the exact day of the October 2011 storm. Are you prepared?
Here are some tips:
- Have plenty of water, at least one gallon per person per day, don’t forget about your pets
- Prepare a supply of non-perishable food such as canned or dried, don’t forget about your pets
- Have a list of Emergency contacts
- Flashlights, batteries and a battery powered weather radio
- First aid kit and a supply of your prescription medication
- Have cash on hand in the event that ATM’s are not working
- Charge your cell phones
- Fill your vehicle gas tanks
- Test and prepare your back up power generators – contact a qualified electrician regarding proper usage
- Make sure generators are located outside with the exhaust nowhere near any fresh air vents returning to the home or open windows
- Secure any outside property such as lawn furniture, toys, bikes, gas grills, etc.
- Make sure your smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries and are operating properly
- Try to keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed to preserve food
- Use battery operated candles, tea lights and flashlights instead of open flame candles during power outages
Try adding ping4alerts! to your smart phone. Massachusetts emergency management officials will now be sending out warnings about hurricanes, floods, blizzards, and other potential dangers, even terrorist threats, to state residents via this mobile app developed by a Nashua technology start-up. You can download this app for free by visiting your phone’s app store.
Check out the latest information about the so-called Frankenstorm of 2012 closely approaching.