If you live in Hadley, Longmeadow or anywhere in between you may have heard of recent bear sightings in your neighborhood! What should you do if you encounter a bear? The National Park Service has a few tips for us to keep in mind..
Bear Safety Tips
- Do not approach the bear and especially if it is a bear cub, as the mother bear can get defensive.
- Remain calm, speak in a low voice, as high pitched noise and quick movements can startle a bear.
- If encountered…Speak to the bear so that it knows you are human.
- Read more bear tips.
Other Bear Safety Reminders
- Do not leave open containers of food outside.
- Bird feeders can attract bears.
- Bears will remember where they found the food and return.
- If bears are known to visit your neighborhood do not leave pets or children unattended.
Nature is a beautiful thing, lets enjoy it safely.
*Image used is from www.public-domain-image.com.